Get Active – “It makes me physically ill when I think about the pain and suffering these dogs have to endure.
There is no excuse and no need in these technologically rich times this research is archaic and totally barbaric. Please stop it.” Jenny Seagrove, actress.
There are loads of ways you can help the BUAV campaign to end the use of dogs in research.
Dogs in laboratories have no voice, they cannot speak for themselves.
That’s why it’s so important that organisations such as the BUAV, and its supporters, work together to speak out on their behalf.
Remember to make all letters / faxes / emails brief and polite it’s much easier to dismiss a two page letter full of insults than a well-thought out and concise communication.
DOGS 2000 ACTION
- Email the minister responsible for animal experiments, the Parliamentary Under Secretary of State Mike O’Brien MP, at the Home Office’s Research Development and Statistics Directorate at firstname.lastname@example.org demanding an end to the use of dogs in research. You can also send a fax on: 020 7 273 2190 or write to: Mike O’Brien MP, Home Office, 50 Queen Anne’s Gate, London SW1H 9AT. Pass on the Home Office’s contact details to as many people as possible in order to achieve maximum impact.
- Send off for a free Dogs 2000 Campaign pack full of information about dogs in research and the BUAV’s campaigns. Inside you’ll find your own free copy of the BUAV’s national poster “A dog is for life… unless it’s in a UK laboratory”*. Display the poster where it will be seen by as many people as possible; ask your local health-food shop or library if they will display the poster for you.
- The BUAV is asking MPs to call for an urgent review of the use of dogs in research. Write to your local MP at the House of Commons, London SW1A 0AA and ask him / her to write to the Home Office to press this issue on your behalf. You can find out the name of your MP by phoning the House of Commons Information Office on 020 7219 4272 or emailing HCIO on email@example.com
- Write to your local paper about the issue and publicise the BUAV’s campaign. Many people still don’t realise that dogs are used in UK experiments at all! Let your voice be heard locally! Address your letter to the Letters Editor and mark it ‘For Favour of Publication’.
- Local radio phone-in programmes often focus on the issue of vivisection this could be another opportunity for you to speak out about dogs in research.
- The BUAV’s Making a Killing video about the breeding of dogs for research is a powerful campaigning tool call the BUAV office to buy your copy priced £9.99.
- Buy your own copy of the BUAV’s book “Secret Suffering: Inside a British laboratory” and read about Sarah Kite’s account of her undercover investigation at Huntingdon Research Centre. Priced £4.95.
- Sponsor a BUAV advertisement in your local paper or publication of your choice. Large or small, adverts really help to get our message out to the general public. Call the BUAV office for details.
- Help raise vital funds for our campaigning, lobbying and undercover work. Visit Support the BUAV to find out how you can help ensure that the BUAV’s work continues into the future. As well as becoming a supporter, there are loads of ways you can hold your own fundraising event to help laboratory animals.
1. Write a letter to the Home Secretary asking for an end to animal testing by pet food companies
The Home Secretary
2. Write to your MP at
The House of Commons
3. Write to the following companies calling on them to stop carrying out or funding animal tests
Mars (UK) Ltd
Nestlé UK Ltd
St Georges House
Colgate-Palmolive (UK) Ltd
Guildforrd Business Park
Proctor & Gamble
Ralston Purina Company